مونتيسوري مصر

مشاكل القراء المسجلة

Delivered to your Doorstep

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, June 14, 2008

TALES FROM AN EGYPTIAN HOUSEHOLD - THE MAID

One morning she looked more dead that she usually did. She was a carcass with still tears in her eye sockets.

"What's wrong, Om Essam?"
"Nothing anesa (Miss) Marwa."

I insisted on an answer and between her loud sobs and silent tears, she told me how her husband's illness got worse - I did not know she had a husband - and how their son Saoudy, seemed to be contracting the same illness. She cried as she told me how her husband could had not worked in the last 10 years because he sleeps all the time; how he had unexplained frenzies; how he beat her, and her daughters, whenever he had one of his fits; how he turned into the famous bull in that china shop when he tore, broke, and crushed everything she worked so hard to buy for their home.


"Yesterday, Saoudy was about to throw himself out of the window. He said he did not want to live anymore. His sisters were screaming and wailing. I begged him to come back inside and to remember God. I did not want him to die an atheist. I did not want him to go to hell. The Sheikh in the mosque promised us that we would all go to heaven. He told us that people who lead such a tough life of deprivation would enjoy luxuries that surpass all luxuries in the afterlife. I know that I will go to heaven" said the woman as she wiped her face and reached for the mop.

Read the whole story

No comments: